Authentic beef fajitas always begin with the marinade. It use acidic ingredients such as lime juice to tenderize the meat.
It will take 24hrs for make the meat fully tenderized. Some marinades use chili for get some heat. This beef fajitas marinade combines tequila, lime, garlic, oregano, cumin, cilantro and black pepper, all of which are popular ingredients found in authentic Mexican food recipes. You can make beef fajitas without marinating the meat at all but using a fajitas marinade does give the beef an amazing flavor and tenderizes it too. You do not have to use a very tough cut of meat like skirt steak or flank steak but do not use a top quality cut because it will go mushy unless you really shorten the marinating time.
- ¼ cup tequila
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed, dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Combine everything and mix well.
- Pour this marinade over the meat in a shallow plastic, glass or other non-reactive container.
- A 1 gallon zip top bag also works well.
- Refrigerate overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- You will have enough marinade for 1 to 1 ½ lbs of flank steak, which will serve 4 people.
Read more about Chavindecas